When You Slip And Fall: Determining Liability And Proving Your Injuries

When you slip and fall on someone else's property, you may be able to seek financial compensation if you get injured. For example, if you are walking along in a department store and you slip because there is water on the floor, the store is liable for your injuries if you sustain any. If the store neglects their property and you get hurt because of it, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit. In the event of a small injury, most insurance companies are going to settle the matter out of court. If your injuries are severe, you will need to seek legal counsel to determine if you need to take your case to trial.

Determining Liability When You Fall and Get Hurt

If you are using a property as you are supposed to and you fall because the property is not maintained adequately, the property owner is responsible for your injuries. If you are running around and not following the rules and you get hurt, you may be liable for your own injuries. Basically if you are being a reasonable person and you get hurt because a stairwell isn't well lit or there's a hazard that shouldn't be there, the owner is liable for your injuries.

Proving the Extent of Your Injuries

When you slip and fall, this doesn't mean you have an automatic lawsuit you can file. You must sustain injuries in order to have a viable lawsuit. If you return to work the next day and you don't need medical treatment, you don't have a lawsuit to file. In the reverse, if you are seriously injured and will never be able to return to work, you'll need extensive medical treatment and support throughout your lifetime. Proving the extent of your injuries is vital to your case and will make a big difference in the amount of compensation that you receive.

What You Can Seek Damages For

The more injured you are, the more money you are likely to receive from your lawsuit. You can seek damages for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment, and for measurable losses such as lost wages and medical bills. Your attorney will talk with you about the potential damages in your case, and advise you regarding a settlement offer if one is made. 

When you are hurt because of the negligence of a property owner, you have the right to seek money for the damages you sustained. For more information, talk to a professional like Law Offices Of Sara J Frankel Pc.